Friday, September 24, 2010

Fifteenth Confession

I'm thinking about changing the numbering system on the posts, just because it becomes tedious to type out the numbers.  Probably do that in the next post.

So recently, I've been thinking about music.  I'm curious what is currently playing on your iPod/portable music device/radio/whatever. 

The reason I ask is because we're in a media permeated society.  Until recently, if you wanted music to go,  you had AM and FM.  Then came the Walkman, then the discman, then mp3's, and then the iPod.  But it's so transformed our society, I defy you to go walking in a public place and not count at least five devices on three people.  It's all about the music.

I'm listening to Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts performing "Call Me, Call Me" live right now.  It's a sad little blues number, with a brilliant little back beat that sounds like an old roatary phone.  I love the classics, and it's a little sad that we're raising a generation that only pushes buttons.  Ironic that I type that on a keyboard, which is nothing but a bunch of buttons, eh?

Of course, we needed our mix tapes to lead us to this point; piracy moving society forward.  Of course, now that we've reached a level of corporate paranoia about anything downloadable, I wonder where we're gonna go from here.

I know where I'm going: straight home for the weekend.  Talk to you Monday.

2 comments:

  1. My government-issued ipod is full of backup files since we are trying to put bootcamp on the old macbook. The shuffle is full of Michael's audiobook. Neither phone has any music.
    Musicfail.

    I have a decent enough radio station from San Jose now that I'm fixing to cancel Sirius. Who couldn't use an extra $15/mo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly only use Sirius radio when it comes with the rental car. And I pretty much only get rental cars that have it. I love the comedy channels and the Springsteen channel on Sirius/XM.

    ReplyDelete