Saturday, September 3, 2011

57th Confession

I'm an older brother.

This comes as no surprise to anyone who knows my family, but there's a deeper truth to this. Yes, I have a younger sibling (holla, Lauren), but I've also been saved since a very young age. I grew up saved by grace since about six, and I really don't know any other way to live.

This brings me to a parable that Jesus told. It had two brothers in it, as well - an older and a younger. The younger asks his father for his inheritance (basically writing the father off as dead), goes out and blows it, and then finds himself in a mess. He decides - after he comes to himself - to go back home, beg forgiveness, and sell himself back to his father. And while he was a long way off, his father sees him and has compassion, runs and falls on his neck and kisses him. The son begins his well rehearsed speech about being no longer worthy to be called his son. The father interrupts him and begins a feast, with his younger son as the guest of honor.

And that's where a lot of church sermons start. I have heard this parable taught as a salvation message I don't know how many times. "Come back, thou corrupted backslider, for thy God shall have mercy on thee." Or, "Come to the Kingdom of God, you lost and prodigal." And there's nothing wrong with this kind of message - I believe it's necessary, sometimes, to call out the ones who are on the verge of either coming home or sliding away.

But what I hate is that it's only half of a story. All the sermons that I've heard focus on the younger brother. But I'm not a younger brother...am I? I'm an older brother. I'm an older brother. I'm the one who hasn't slid away. I've stayed and worked, I've been faithful, even when it's been crazy. I'm the one who fights being burnt out, even when it'd be easier to take my younger brother's route.

The promise of the father is wonderfulness itself - all he has is mine. Of course, the father's explanation shows his heart of love and forgiveness. Dead son, come back to life. Omnia vincit amor. There is no condemnation in the father toward his older son or his younger.

But there's that lingering sensation of burning in myself. Isn't there more to life than this kind of existence? Work for the father, with promises of future reward?

Why is it so hard to ask Father for something for myself?

And honestly, at that point, it feels like I become the younger brother, having written off my father's generosity and love, condemning him for his laisesz faire toward me. I don't recall there being any "joy" in my salvation; it just was. It was a choice for me - a choice to follow Him as best as I could, in all the ways that I could, loving Him the best I could, with all my heart, mind, will, emotions...but there was no "joy" about my choice.

I don't understand the phrase "joy of my salvation." I grew up saved. Where is the joy? Rejoicing, I understand. Continuously giving thanks, I get that. But I don't understand the joy coming from making a choice away from death as intimately as those who have.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing this, but on the other hand, maybe there's a different kind of joy for older brothers like me. Maybe I'm searching for something that isn't the same for me that it is for others. It seems to be the same as searching for my people.

Thank you, Father, for loving the older brothers, too.

3 comments:

  1. Ryan, I can completely identify with your words. Oldest of two, saved when young, in a Christian school and church setting from preschool until my late twenties. Struggled with this feeling all the time - wondering if intellectual thanksgiving was all I was capable of. Wary but envious of those who would reach hands towards heaven, tears in their eyes blissfully thanking their saviour. I reasoned through it time and time and time again. Then I reached a point of falling apart...caving in. I fell and fell hard. I fought redemption. I lost all I had, to the point of losing respect and love for myself. When my tantrum was over there was a quiet...a slow peace. God pretty much tapped me on the shoulder to say, "you done? Let's move on. I still love you but you need to hold my hand from now on." I had never crashed like that...never disregarded Him like that before...and while I was his enemy he still loved me. My faith is still more intellectual than not, but I get it now. I saw a glimmer of grace and that opened my eyes. I would never wish that experience on anyone...ever. I share it just to say that things do shift and change. Toil away faithfully and be assured his promise to you will never fail. And pray for those who have to be broken to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan - Broken saints are always the most thankful. Although it's never fun to be in that valley of brokenness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t want to be anonymous, but I don’t have a URL, and I’m not on anything Google.
    So just so you know, this is Don Smith from Oasis. Heheals@aol.com
    I confess that I just found your Confessions, and have been reading them.

    I noticed that you have a pipe symbol.
    I have found much joy in the poetry and teachings of Malcolm Guite.
    He is quite a Hobbit type, and loves pipes.
    He has quite a few YouTube videos
    Here is one of them on pipes
    https://youtu.be/Ui6fq8pR_sM?si=utgin0y6s2cBMWMS

    ReplyDelete