Wednesday, April 20, 2011

51st Confession

I wish I had a better lawn.

I have absolutely no talent for botany. None whatsoever. Plants take one look at me and lose the will to live. There are so many dead spots on my lawn, it looks more like the surface of the moon than it does anything American.

I used to think it would be a blessing to have mature shade trees. Unfortunately, mature shade trees make for lots and lots of leaves. In addition, there are lots of sticks: dead limbs, limbs that need to be removed - all this adds up to wood chips and time and money. Many things I have in this life, but extra time is not one of them.

Would that I had the extra resources to actually turf the lawn this year, as I've so often remarked would resolve all the issues. It'd always look good, the trees could still get water. And yet, I'd never have to mow again, and any spots on the lawn would be cleaned up with spot remover or a snow shovel. A very special, use-specific snow shovel.

Currently, I reseeded and hayed the lawn. I did it right before the heavy rains came. I added fertilizer, I tore up the dirt to lay the seed down...and nothing has sprouted. Nothing at all. Between birds and the dog, nothing.

The next thing to do is to admit defeat, call in a professional, and just redo the whole thing. I'm halfway there, but I just think that if I do the right things, it'll all come out right. Of course, that hasn't worked out for the past two years...

2 comments:

  1. Maybe someone as-salt-ed your lawn when you weren't looking?
    The next door neighbor of my miserable God-forsaken hovel in St. Paul uses people's discarded indoor carpeting to cover his front yard; he just hates yardwork that much. My largest endeavor since moving from the B. Co. is to plant some tomato seeds and sit them on my windowsill. Three of the five have actually come up! Now I guess I will have to plant them in the outdoors so the turkeys and deer can eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried having a vegetable garden - the dog ruined that, too. :(

    ReplyDelete