Thursday, October 7, 2010

23rd Confession

There is nothing worse than incompetent leadership.  Leaders are the people who are supposed to nurture talent, encourage risk taking, and eventually release into something greater.  Whether that "greater" is retirement or a loftier position, leadership is not supposed to be threatened by upward mobility; rather, it is supposed to groom it and, in essence, put itself out of a job.

There aren't many fond memories I take with me from my time in prison....Did I say prison?  I meant working at CallTech (later TelePerformance).  The hours kept switching, the breakroom TV was always on TNT, and I'm fairly certain I developed digestive issues while there.  The best parts of the job were the people; specifically, my old supervisor Shane.  Shane did more than manage a dude who had lost five jobs within the span of four years.  He modelled what a good supervisor was with impeccable behavior and panache beyond description.  When he reviewed an employee, he looked for anything good to bolster their self-confidence, while gently encouraging development in the areas that were lacking.  When he recognized someone with leadership potential, he made for darn sure that they were on his team.  When he saw that someone had superior abilities, he tried to move them up as best he could.  He is, still to this date, the one man I would gladly work for any day.

TelePerformance also taught me that different management styles are ok, but incompetent management always shows through.  It taught me that yes, it is who you know that matters, as well as how to cultivate contacts to aid and abet in what you need done.  I recall several times that I needed to do something for a customer, but "the rules" said I couldn't.  At the time, I had another good supervisor, Travis, who said, "If you can do it, get it done."  He encouraged risk-taking and problem-solving, no matter how far outside "the rules" I had to stray.  In addition, he encouraged team-building and information sharing, which enabled me to make contacts in a whole lot of places where I'd not have otherwise gone.  Of course, it also meant a whole lot of work, but I suppose that I'd rather be working too hard than not enough.

I've also been in situations where leadership has been less than supportive of either myself or my efforts.  I've been in places where leadership has felt threatened by my abilities.  I recall one place where I was relegated to grunt work, although holding the position and title of management.  I was then expected to do my job, my boss's job, and my people's jobs.  All at the same time.  With excellence.  And pride.

That lasted about a month.

In summary, I suppose I only respect leaders as far as they take the time to become interested in me.  As they grow to know me and my strengths/weaknesses/limitations, etc., they earn more of my respect and trust.  the less they know me?  The less time I have for them, the less I care about their opinions, and the less likely I'm going to actively attempt to enable them to succeed.

4 comments:

  1. You too my friend are a "leader". We are all created to lead. God help us all to be the leaders you created us to be :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a leader with no one to follow me, save my family. Which I'm actually completely fine with, right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leaders serve and influence others. I truly believe that there are people out there that you have served and influenced and still are. We don't always realize this but there are those that we "lead" by just living our life and them observing even if it be from a distance that we are unaware of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, Anna-Jean! Well said indeed.

    ReplyDelete